Sunday Edition

So, I’ve made the decision to use my Sunday post as a way to showcase my other interests. Mainly I’ll be focusing on my baking and my photography. Besides, don’t they say variety is the spice of life?




Anyway, today’s recipe is simple but delicious. Fresh, juicy strawberries have been arriving at the farmers' markets and going on sale at the grocery stores, and I just couldn't resist buying a pint. I decided to try chocolate covered strawberries on a whim after seeing some leftover milk chocolate in the cabinet. Any type of chocolate will do (I've heard a double white and bittersweet chocolate is delicious), but this is just what I had on hand. There's just something luxurious about this fruit and chocolate combination.

A lot of recipes mention mixing vegetable oil or shortening in with the melted chocolate to give more of a glossy effect. I guess I'm a purist, so I decided to go with chocolate only. These didn't take very long to make and were so tasty! Always a great combination when it comes to baking. Besides being yummy, I'm also going to pretend they were a "healthy" treat. Great for a nice spring or summer day!



Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Ingredients
5 ounces of milk chocolate, chopped (or whatever type you prefer)
1 pint fresh strawberries

Directions

1. Either in a glass bowl on top of a double boiler over simmering water or in a microwave-save bowl, heat chocolate until it has melted. Different chocolates have different melting times, so be sure to keep an eye on your bowl to keep the ingredients from scorching.

2. Line a baking sheet (or other dish) with a silicon mat or parchment paper. This will be where you place your dipped strawberries.

3. Insert toothpicks into the stem of the strawberries. While holding only the toothpick, slowly dip the end of the strawberry into the melted chocolate, making sure to get an even coverage. I prefer to only dip the strawberries three-quarters of the way to their stem.

4. Place the dipped fruit onto the lined baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator until the chocolate is hard.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular